Prof. Joseph P. Kennedy
Distinguished Professor of Polymer Science and Chemistry
- 1948 B. Sc., chemistry, University of Budapest, Hungary
- 1954 Ph. D., biochemistry, University of Vienna, Austria
- 1961 M. B. A., general business, Rutgers University
- 1955 Research Fellow, Sorbonne U., Paris France
- 1956 Research Assoc., McGill U., Montreal, Canada
- 1957-59 Research Chemist, Celanese Corp., Summit, N.J.
- 1959-70 Rose to Senior Research Assoc., Exxon Research and Engineering Co., Linden, N.J.
- 1959 1st Industrial Guest Professor in Polymer Science, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
- 1970-1980 Professor of Polymer Science, The University of Akron
- 1980- Distinguished Professor of Polymer Science and Chemistry, The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio
Awards, Honorary Degrees, etc.
- Outstanding Researcher Award, The University of Akron, 1979
- Morley Award and Medal, Cleveland Section, Am. Chem. Soc., 1982
- Döbereiner Medaille, F. Schiller Universität, Jena, DDR, 1985
- American Chemical Society, Award in Polymer Chemistry, 1985
- Best Paper Award, Rubber Division of the Am. Chem. Soc., 1985
- Honorary Doctorate (Doctor Honoris Causa, D.H.C.), Kossuth University, Debrecen, Hungary, 1989
- Elected External Member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, 1993
- Special journal issue in honor of J.P. Kennedy, J. Macromol. Sci.-Pure Appl. Chem., Vol. 31, No. 8, 1994
- American Chemical Society, Award in Applied Polymer Science, 1995
- George S. Whitby Award for Excellence in Teaching and Research, Rubber Division, Am. Chem. Soc., 1996
- Three Special Creativity Awards by the NSF, 1993, 1997, 2004
- Award for Distinguished Service to Polymer Science, Society of Polymer Science, Japan, 2000
- Goodyear Medal and Award, Rubber Division, American Chemical Society, 2008
- Honorary Doctorate (D.H.C.), The University of Akron, 2008
- Letter of recognition for receiving 100 US Patents, Commissioner of Patents, USPTO 2008
- NorTech Innovation Award, Crain's Cleveland Business, 2009
- Elected Fellow of American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), 2010
- Heart Champion Award, American Heart Association, 2011
- Ohio Patent Legacy Award, The Ohio Academy of Science, 2011
- Fellow of the American Chemical Society, 2012
- Charter Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors, 2013
Major Professional Activities
- Founding coeditor: Polymer Bulletin 1978-1998
- Senior Editorial Board: J. Macromol . Sci.-Chem. 1978-1998
- Editorial Board: J. Polym. Sci., Polym. Chem. Ed.; Adv. Polym. Sci. 1976-1998; Polymers, Properties and Applications; Macromolecules 1988-1991; Polymer Contents; Hungarian Chemical Journal, Chemistry of Materials.
- Chairman: Gordon Conferences on Elastomers 1973; on Polymers 1989
- Chairman: 35th IUPAC International Symposium on Macromolecules, MacroAkron '94, Akron, 1994
four professional books
(one translated to Russian) and over 700 publications, including reviews and original scientific contributions.
Author of textbook "How to Invent and Protect Your Invention" (Wiley pub. 2012)
Inventor of 117 issued
U.S. Patents, several licensed and products
in commercial production; drug-eluting stent coating generated revenues well in
excess of 4 billion dollars.
Listed in "Who's Who in America", "Who's Who in Frontier Science and Technology", "American Men of Science", "Hungarian and International Who's Who", etc.
Updated: February 2014